Friday, September 25, 2009

Smoothie with a twist


I'm not sure whether to blame our Southern California heat wave or my post-pregnancy state, but I've been on a smoothie kick lately. However, I've put a little twist on my typical smoothie. Thanks to my friend, Jim, for introducing me to the Green Smoothie. We had a get together at our house a few months ago, and he thought it would be a good idea to use some of the greens (mostly spinach) from our garden to impress us with his Green Smoothie. Believe me, I was skeptical at first, but after trying it, I was sold. It was refreshingly good, and I love that it packs a nutritious punch! Spinach is actually quite a versatile vegetable and the flavor blends easily with other flavors without overpowering the final product. I've made a few different versions, so I thought I'd share a few of my concoctions here.

The Refreshing Green Smoothie
{Print this recipe}
Ingredients:
3/4 c cold water
3 c raw spinach leaves
2 apples (cored and chopped)
1/2 large banana
Juice of half a lemon (or ~1 T)

Directions:
1) Add the water and spinach to the blender and blend on low until smooth.
2) Add the apples, banana, and lemon juice and mix on high until smooth.
3) Enjoy!

Serves: 2
Nutritional Information:
Calories: 121 Carbohydrate: 27.5 g   Fat: 1.5 g   Protein: 2.5 g   Fiber: 4.5 g   Cholesterol: 0 mg   Sodium: 14.3 mg
1 serving of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit
Excellent source of vitamin A, K, and folate.
Good source of vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and iron.
Also a source of phytochemicals, such as lutein and quercetin.

The Dangerously Delicious Green Smoothie
{Print this recipe}
Ingredients:
1 c light vanilla yogurt (could use plain yogurt or low-fat milk, too)
2 c raw spinach leaves
1 frozen banana
1 T peanut butter

Directions:
1) Add the yogurt and spinach to the blender and blend on low until smooth.
2) Add the banana and peanut butter and mix on high until smooth.
3) Enjoy!

Serves: 2
Nutritional Information:
Calories: 149  Carbohydrate:  20.5 g   Fat:  5 g   Protein:  6.3 g   Fiber: 2 g   Cholesterol:  1 mg   Sodium: 74 mg
1/2 serving vegetables, 1/2 serving of fruit
Excellent source of vitamin A, D, K, B6, and B12, and riboflavin.
Good source of folate, potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium.
Also a source of phytochemicals, such as lutein and quercetin, as well as probiotics from the yogurt.

Recipe tips:
  • You may want to experiment with some of the amounts on the ingredients to your liking. They are quite flexible.
  • Instead of spinach, you may want to try other dark leafy greens, such as romaine lettuce.
  • You can also experiment with other types of fruit, such as pears, berries, or nectarines.
  • For an added taste adventure, you may want to add some herbs, such as parsley, cilantro, or mint to taste.

Green Smoothie mustache = Kid tested and approved!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails