Friday, March 4, 2011

Foodie Friday: Orange-alicious Smoothie

Photo credit: Michelle Loy. Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.

Guess what time it is?  It's smoothie time!  I love smoothies. They're always so fresh, delicious, and can be made to taste.  My kids love smoothies, and they really enjoy making them with me, too.  I enjoy experimenting with smoothies, and I recently stumbled upon this great one that I call "Orange-alicious".  I was immediately drawn to the idea from Real Simple magazine since it included carrots, which I somehow didn't think to put in a smoothie before.  My kid taste-testers give this one two thumbs up, and so do I.  Enjoy!

Orange-alicious Smoothie
Adapted from: Real Simple, February 2011.

Ingredients:
3/4 c fresh or frozen (unsweetened) pineapple chunks
1/2 c ice (if using frozen fruit, then the ice is not necessary, in my opinion)
Juice of 1 large orange or 1/3 c of 100% orange juice
1 small carrot, chopped (or about 1/4 c chopped)  
1/2 banana (1/2 a frozen banana would work great, too, and you may not need the ice)

Directions:
1.  Combine ingredients in the blender, and blend until smooth.

Serves: 1
Nutritional Information:
Calories: 159   Carbohydrate:  40 g   Fat:  1 g   Protein:  2 g   Cholesterol: 0 mg   Fiber:  4 g   Sugar:  26 g (all natural)  Sodium:  25 mg  
Excellent source of: vitamins B6, C, and A 
Good source of: thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, magnesium, and potassium

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails