Friday, June 3, 2011

Foodie Friday: Watermelon Agua Fresca

Photo credit: Michelle Loy. Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

I'm not sure any other fruit says summer more than watermelon.  What do you think?  It's one juicy fruit that can really quench the thirst.  When my daughter eats watermelon, she'll often say she's "drinking" it.  Watermelon is one juicy source of the antioxidants vitamins C and A as well as lycopene, so why not drink it?  Bottoms up!

Watermelon Agua Fresca

{Print this recipe}
Ingredients:
2 cups watermelon, seeded and cubed
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
8-10 drops of stevia (I like SweetLeaf.) or 2 tsp honey (or to taste)
Ice

Directions:
1.  Add the watermelon, lime juice, and stevia or honey to a blender and puree until liquefied.
2.  Fill two large glasses with ice, and pour half of the watermelon mixture into each glass.  Enjoy!

Serves:  2
Nutritional Information: (using stevia) 
Calories:  53   Carbohydrate:  14 g   Protein:  1 g   Fat:  0.3 g   Cholesterol:  0 mg   Fiber:  1 g   Sugar:  10 g (natural)  Sodium:  2 mg
Excellent source of:  vitamins C and A and lycopene   

2 comments:

Lisa Matsunaga said...[Reply to comment]

Does SweetLeaf taste better than other stevia powders? I have Stevia in the Raw and it has a strange bitter aftertaste.

Michelle Loy, MPH, MS, RD, CSSD said...[Reply to comment]

@Lisa Matsunaga I haven't tried Stevia in the Raw, but that's interesting to know because it's combined with maltodextrin, which I imagine is to blunt some of that bitterness. I like the SweetLeaf because there are different flavored ones, like vanilla or chocolate. I do think it tastes better than the pure powdered versions of stevia, but it does still have the bitter aftertaste, especially if I go overboard with it. I just try to be conservative with it to lessen the bitterness.

Related Posts with Thumbnails