Friday, August 6, 2010

Foodie Friday: Wild Alaskan Salmon with Honey Pepper Glaze

I picked up some steam on my blogging through July, but I took a little break because I was doing a little of this last week...


This is me with the second rainbow trout that I caught while flyfishing on the Kenai River in Alaska.  I didn't get to keep the little guys though since it was all catch and release there with the rainbows.  However, my husband was able to snag us some lovely wild Alaskan salmon (silvers and sockeye), which we brought home to enjoy.  If you've ever thought about heading to Alaska for vacation, do it!  Do it in the summertime though.  It truly is a pristine and gorgeous place where you might just see things like this...


This is "Goldie", a brown bear with some pretty golden-colored fur.  He wasn't as ferocious and scary as he might look.

Now on to my lovely recipe.  Salmon is my favorite fish. I can't say it was always so.  I'd say that's mostly because I just had no idea how to prepare fish well...and how to select the right kind of fish. I really think that my second dilemma (not knowing how to select the right fish) is a problem that results in many people not liking their fish.  School yourself and it will change your world!  This dish was inspired by my first visit to Spark Woodfire Grill, one of my favorite Huntington Beach restaurants. I remember my husband and I trying to figure out exactly what was in it so that we could make it at home, and that we've done.  I present to you...


Wild Alaskan Salmon with Honey Pepper Glaze
Ingredients:
1 lb wild-caught salmon with skin on, or 4 (4 oz) salmon fillets
Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
Sea salt and black pepper, for seasoning
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp whole mustard seeds (I have a yellow and brown mustard seed combo)
1/2 Tbsp dried tarragon

Directions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 350F.   
2.  Brush the salmon with the olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  
3.  Drizzle honey over the salmon. 
4.  In a small bowl, combine the mustard seeds and tarragon.  Then sprinkle over the salmon.
5.  Place the salmon skin side down in a well-oiled baking dish.  Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.  Serve with vegetables and a side of quinoa pilaf.  

Serves: 4
Nutritional Information:
Calories: 269    Carbohydrate:  13 g   Fat:  13.6 g   Saturated fat: 2 g   Monounsaturated fat:  7 g  Protein:  24 g   Cholesterol:  70 mg  Fiber:  0 g   Sugar: 13 g   Sodium:  201 mg
Good source of:  omega-3 fatty acids, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, B12, and potassium.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails