Friday, July 8, 2011

Foodie Friday: Cinnamon Swirl Banana Cake

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Cake
I've been testing some new cooking waters lately in order to explore what else is out there...at least outside of the "traditional" stuff.  I'd bought a package of almond flour at Whole Foods a while back with the idea in mind that I'd use it to bake something.  However, I just didn't have the recipe yet. I'd like to say I'm an innovative baker, but I'd be lying.  Then I finally stumbled upon something that sounded simple and tasty.  That is this Cinnamon Swirl Banana Cake.  This is exactly what I was looking for...a grain-free and milk-free breakfast option.  Easy, nutritious, satisfying, and the kids like it.  These store in the fridge well, so you can enjoy them for a few days.  I hope you enjoy it, too!

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Cake
Adapted from: Paleo on Main Street, 2011

Ingredients for cake:
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup almond flour (aka, almond meal)
1/4 c coconut flour
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
1 Tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
1/2 c walnuts

Ingredients for cinnamon swirl:
1 ripe banana
1-2 Tbsp ground cinnamon (I use 1 Tbsp.)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Coat 8x8 baking pan with coconut oil.  (I place about 1/2 Tbsp of coconut oil in the baking pan and pop it in the oven for 1-2 minutes to let it melt and spread to coat the pan.)
2.  Mix all of the cake ingredients, except the walnuts, in a medium bowl.  Fold in the walnuts last.  Pour the mixture into the pan.
3.  For the cinnamon swirl, mash the banana and cinnamon together in a small bowl.  Drop dollops of the mixture on top of the cake mixture in the pan.  Cut through each dollop with a knife for the "swirl" effect.

  
4.  Place the pan in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool slightly and enjoy.

Serves: 9
Nutritional Information:  
Calories: 251   Carbohydrate:  19 g   Fat:  17 g   Protein:  8 g   Cholesterol:  70 mg   Fiber:  4 g   Sugar:  9 g   Sodium:  166 mg
Excellent source of:  vitamin B6 and E
Good source of:  omega 3 fatty acid, riboflavin, vitamin B12, and magnesium  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

I just found your blog-I am so excited to try these recipes :)

Michelle Loy, MPH, MS, RD, CSSD said...[Reply to comment]

@Anonymous Thank you so much for checking my blog out and leaving a comment! I hope you like what you try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails