Friday, September 3, 2010

Foodie Friday: Spicy Hummus

 
Photo credit: Michelle Loy. Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

I.love.hummus!  Sometimes I like to leave the hummus-making to the pros.  My favorite is any almost any hummus from Mom's Specialty Foods, which I find at a booth at our local Huntington Beach Farmer's Market, or Trader Joe's hummus.  Sometimes I want hummus, but I don't have any on hand.  That's where this recipe comes in to play.  My friend, Tree, shared this with me many years ago, and it's still a fave of mine.  I can nearly make it at any time because I almost always have everything on hand.  It's super easy, and it's seriously tasty.  I love to pair this with whole wheat pita bread and have it as a snack or even for lunch.  Pair it with fresh vegetables, whole grain crackers, or even as a sub for mayo on a sandwich or in a wrap.  If you like spicy stuff, you'll love this.  Enjoy!

Spicy Hummus
From: Teresa C.
Ingredients:
1 c canned garganzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp plain yogurt
1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
Juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon
1/4 c fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Using a hand blender or small food processor, blend until smooth.  Allow to chill for 2 hours so the flavors can blend.
Serves: 4-8 (based on 2-4 Tbsp serving size)

Nutritional Information (based on serving size of 2 Tbsp):
Calories: 25   Carbohydrate:  5.7 g   Fat:  0.4 g   Protein:  2.1 g   Cholesterol:  0.17 mg  Fiber:  1.5 g   Sugar:  1 g   Sodium:  120 mg

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails